Red yeast rice chicken is a traditional recipe and uses the best ingredients. It is traditionally used for cooking confinement food – a must have for women recuperating after child birth, but is also good for lowering cholesterol and you don’t need to be having your confinement to enjoy the health benefits of this dish. This is a super nourishing dish and is said to boost benefits such as lowering bad cholesterol, strengthening cardio, regulating menses and so on.
Light Soy Sauce
8-10 cloves Garlic
Salt to Taste
Red Wine/Cooking Sherry
2 – 3 Tbsp Fermented Red Yeast Paste
In traditional Red yeast rice Chicken recipe, we use the Red Glutinous Rice Wine and jar of wine lees. This glutinous red rice wine takes 6 weeks to prepare, and it even hard to buy some. so I use Red Wine/Cooking Sherry instead.
Steps to cook Red yeast rice chicken (Hong Zao Ji):
1. Season chicken meat with sesame oil, a dash of light soy sauce and ginger juice. Keep in the fridge for a few hours.
2. Add 1 part cooking oil and 1 part sesame oil to wok, crush 8 to 10 whole cloves of garlic (lightly smash, do not chop).
3. Fry Red Yeast Paste over slow fire until fragrant (around 3 minutes).
4. Add chicken and stir-fry.
5. Add Red Wine/Cooking Sherry and a little water if it gets too sticky.
6. Simmer over slow fire until chicken is cooked.
7. Add salt to taste. It’s a good idea to taste the Red Yeast Paste before adding salt because some brands of paste can be extremely salty.
8, Served with warm rice or noodles. For me, I just love the aromatic and slightly sour taste of the wine.